Friday, March 20, 2009

New Zealand shakedown ride #1

I did my first NZ shakedown ride today on my new bike - 40 miles on the road, 50 including commuting to and from work and running errands.

After work, I headed north on Hwy 1 towards San Francisco.
The winds tend to blow harder here in the afternoon, and from the south, so I was into a headwind the first 15 miles on Hwy 1. From what I've read about the southern island of NZ, the winds blow from the South this time of year and can be pretty stiff where we're going, so I settled in got used to it.

I rode along the coast for about fifteen miles, then went up Bonny Doon Road - out of the wind, into the woods, and up into the Santa Cruz mountains into wine country.

A couple of notes about the new bike:

1. Riding a geared bike is easier (physically) than riding a single-speed. All I've been riding lately is single-speeds.
1.5. Riding a geared bike is harder (mentally) than riding a single-speed. I'm always thinking about "Am I in the right gear?", "Could I be more efficient in another gear?", "There's a hill coming. Am I in the right gear?" There's none of that on a SS. I guess it's all about trade-offs, and I know that this is the right bike for a kick-ass bike trip that we're going on.

2. Turns out I still like to climb, even on a geared bike. There was a 10% grade for about two miles, and it made me happy.

3. I think a spoke is giving me a flat. I flatted on the way home, changed the tube, and got another flat.
4. I think I chose the wrong saddle. And that worries me because I'm going to spend a lot of time on it in NZ. I may swap it out tomorrow for another one. With saddles, larger and more cushy does not always mean more comfortable. You want one that's narrow enough to not rub on your thighs when you're in motion, and the only parts of your bum that should touch are your sit-bones. I am getting the bike professionally fit to my body tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

5. I did decide which bike shorts to take on the trip. I was going to take two pairs, but space is an issue...so I'm only taking one pair.

Riding home (back along Hwy 1, with the wind to my back this time!), I saw this farm crew planting spinach starts. Coming soon to a market near you. Another reason I love living in Santa Cruz...

No comments: