Wednesday, August 19, 2009

a wrong turn in the redwoods

I had a wonderful commute into work today on my bike - right at 20 miles.
I started in Felton, at the green pin below, and ended in Santa Cruz, at the red pin.

And then there's that little artery sticking out there. That's what a wrong turn looks like on GPS! The little out-n-back added about 8 miles to my morning commute. Somehow I thought downhill was left. Obviously, I was wrong. I was so blissed out by the surroundings (no cars, narrow winding roads, orchards) that I didn't really put together that I was off-course or late to work.

When I got to work I opened my calendar and realized I was two minutes late for a phone meeting with a guy who works on the East Coast and also rides bikes. He asked why I was late and I said "I took a wrong turn in the redwoods on my ride into work." He was jealous.

Here's the profile of the ride. There was more descending than climbing, but total feet climbed was about 1,200 feet. I would ride it in reverse to get home this afternoon, but need to take a more direct route home today.

My goal on my rides is to do longer rides into work in the morning. I've got my eye on the map...



No comments: