Monday, December 29, 2008

"Can you burn marshmallows?"

Questions and comments to me while juggling fire at the Dirt Farm recently:

* Do you mind? (photographer Denise, pointing to her camera as she approached)
* How long have you been doing that? (the most-asked question)
* Why doesn't the ground catch on fire? (a boy to me after I dropped)
* Can I take your picture?
* I just learned to juggle. I learned in the joint, actually.
* Can you come back tomorrow so I can film you? Do you mind? (a girl, Jenna)
* My dogs wanted to come out and watch you. (a lady with a prominent last name in Santa Cruz culture, with two Welsh Corgies)
* My sons makes poi. I'll have him make you a set. (neighborhood friend Charmaine)
* That's coming awfully close to your hair.
* Don't burn yourself, Clay. (neighbor Terry)
* OH!! That looks SO COOL from the water, man!! Thanks, dude!! (surfer Marty at dusk)
* That's magical. Thank you. (my favorite)
* We've been watching you from the street. (a lady and her daughter as they came closer)
* Can you juggle a thousand? (a boy to me when I was on a roll. I dropped after he asked that, and immediately felt the need to retort with "How many hands do you have to have to juggle a thousand?", to which he replied without missing a beat: "Sixteen." So adorable.)
* Can I hold it? (a boy, about seven, sticking out his hand, mesmerized by the flame, not even looking at me)
* Dad, do you want to hold the fire? (the same little boy - he was gentle and calm)
* Do you have a girlfriend?
* What do you use for fuel? (the second most-asked question)
* Why rubbing alcohol? (a fellow juggler when I answered the above question)
* Can you pass? (the same juggler)
* What are you listening to?
* Does it hurt when you catch the wrong end?
* Why do you juggle here? (a girl, mid-twenties, at the Dirt Farm)
* Can you burn marshmallows? (a little French boy, Remi, as his dad was taking pictures)

No comments: