Wednesday, July 29, 2009

new shoes make you a faster runner...

...and new cameras make you a better photographer.

When I was a kid and wanted new shoes, I told my parents that. Of course, new shoes did NOT make me a faster runner. I think my parent already knew that, 'cause that argument never convinced them to buy. That, or my older brother had already used that argument on them.

But, this new camera WILL make me a better photographer. I've reached the point with my digital point & shoot cameras where the vision in my head is limited by the camera's ability.

So after a lot of research, I bought the new Lumix LX3. It's an "in-betweener" - bigger than a point & shoot, but smaller than those bulky digital SLRs. The lens is Leica (excellent quality), and is only 24mm - which means very wide angle, and great in low light conditions. It's "only" 10 mega-pixels which is more than enough for my needs, and it was a conscious trade-off made by the manufacturers. Instead of competing in the "megapixel race" with other cameras, these guys decided to reserve more of the sensor technology to quality rendering.

So now I've got total control over aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

"Can I take your picture?"

No comments: